Who doesn’t like themselves some shrimp balls? I love shrimp/crab balls. I hate having to fight the crowds during Dim Sum for them though! Amirite??? So why not make your own at home. So easy to cook up and you don’t have to hunt down the shrimp ball cart or harass the waiter for them . Please say you’re crazy like me and hunted down that cart before during Dim Sum. It will totally make me feel better.
Shrimp balls – Makes 18 balls (Tablespoon size)
1 pound shrimp (deveined, peeled, chopped)
1/2 Tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
1/2 Tablespoon finely chopped scallion
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 Tablespoon oyster sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
Splash of milk
1/2 cup panko
1/2 cup all purpose flour
Enough oil (canola or vegetable oil) for deep frying in pot. Set at 350 degree or when you stick a chopstick into the pot and you see oil bubbling up (my fav. method cause I’m too cheap to buy a real thermometer).
- Add shrimp and next ingredients (cilantro, scallion, garlic, salt and pepper, cornstarch, sugar, and oyster sauce) into food processor.
- Pulse ingredients until a paste is formed. Don’t over pulse.
- Mix egg and milk in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Pour flour into a shallow pan.
- Pour panko into a shallow pan.
- Take about a tablespoon of shrimp paste (cookie scooper comes in handy for uniform balls) and roll into a ball. Wet hands also help to prevent paste from sticking to hands.
- Roll ball into flour, then roll in egg wash, and finally roll in panko. Repeat with remaining paste.
- Deep fry in oil, 5 at a time, until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on rack.
- Balls are hot. Please enjoy carefully. Serve with hot chili oil or spicy mayo!