Summer is here! I survived another winter in MN (6 years and counting). I can tell you this much….nothing, NOTHING, beats a Minnesota’s summer. The weather for the most part is almost always perfect, theres 10,000 lakes to visit, and I grill almost every night, if not week, for dinner. I wanted to share with you my easy go to recipe for grilled shrimp/prawns with a side of spicy sour green mango salad, it’s a recipe you can use all summer long!
You’re in for a treat, but you already knew that by visiting my blog, didn’t you? I actually have TWO recipes for you today. First, I will show you how to make the mango salad and then the prawn lollipops. The mango salad pairs really well with any seafood such as fried tilapia or any fish really. Like all my recipes, I like to keep things simple…that’s what Cambodian food and the flavors of summer is all about…fast, simple, and flavorful food. That is what this blog is all about too. 🙂
Spicy Cambodian Mango Salad
- 1 unripped mango. Peeled and shredded
- 3-4 cherry tomato, cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic
- 2 Thai Chili (adjust to your own spice level)
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig of Thai Basil, ripped
- 1 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
- Pound garlic, Thai chili peppers, and salt in mortar and pestle.
- Add mango, shallots, and tomato into mortar. Toss/mix with pestle and spoon, coating mango with garlic pepper paste. Add fish sauce, sugar,and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference.
- Top off with basil and chopped peanut. If you’re not planning to eat right away, covered and refrigerate.
Grilled Prawn “lollipops”
- 1 pound of prawns
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon ‘Shrimp Balls’ mix, found at Asian store in spice aisle (if you can’t find it, add 1/2 tsp of each; onion powder, cornstarch, sugar, garlic powder, msg (optional))
- Rinse prawns. Snip off whiskers and pointy needle on the head.
- In a medium size bowl, mix prawn with cilantro, rice wine, salt, white pepper, garlic and powder mix. Leave to marinate at room temp for about 30 mins. Then skewer prawn, start at the tail and push skewers through the middle and end of the prawn.
- Prepare your grill. Over med-high heat, grill each side 3-4 mins.
- Serve immediately with mango salad, hot sticky rice, and cold beer.