The dog days of summer are upon us. I can’t tell you how many tubs/boxes of ice cream the bf and I have gone through. While this is an awesome way to beat the heat, we felt bad that we couldn’t share our ice cream with our furbaby Dobby. Dogs need a way to cool down too! Sure I made him those frozen patriotic treat for July 4th, but I wanted to share some ice cream with him too. I know, spoiled pup.
Before I start….
Please don’t ask me whether or not your dog can eat certain food. I go by what MY dog can eat/tolerate. All dogs are different. All the ingredients I give Dobby are safe. I’ve done my research, so should you. Remember as with everything, moderation is key. You know your dog best.
I got the idea for these ‘ice cream’ sandwiches from a box of Good Humor dog ice cream. Who knew Good Humor makes dog ice cream?!
Since I’m all about homemade, I decided I can make my own and feel good knowing what is exactly in Dobby’s treats. As always I put my own spin on it. Instead of plain cookie sandwiches, I turned it into ‘Carob chips’ cookie sandwiches. In paw shapes of course. Would you expect anything less from me? 😉
Fido “Ice Cream” cookie sandwiches – adapted from The Cookie Rookie, makes about 8 cookie sandwiches
- 1 banana – peeled and mashed
- 7oz container of plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup of smooth peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup carob chips, chopped
You can use any cookie cutter, but this is the one I used (bought on Amazon):
- Combine ‘Ice Cream’ ingredients together. Freeze until frozen.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Stir in peanut butter, water, honey, egg, and carob chips. Mix until dough comes together.
- Dust your surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll dough out about 1inch. Cut your cookies out. You can do special shapes like I did or just round ones.
- Bake for 20mins. Let cookies cool on rack.
- Scoop ice cream. Sandwich between 2 cookies.
- You can cling wrap individual sandwiches and freeze them. Not sure how long they are good for in the freezer, but I wouldn’t keep it in there for more than a week.
Sharing is caring. There is no way I’m giving Dobby all these treats. He will be sharing these with his fur friends or eating one every week. Like I said before…everything in moderation.